Tuesday, March 20, 2012

John Carter, or A Princess of Mars

For his birthday, my oldest wanted to go and see the new film, John Carter. This movie is based on a book by Edgar Rice Burroughs, and was written before he wrote Tarzan of the Apes. That means that this book was written over 100 years ago.

To be honest, I haven't read the books in over 25 years. I remember enjoying them, and could remember a few basics. Tars Tarkas was the leader of the green martians, or Tharks. A princess, obviously since the book is A Princess of Mars. And our hero, John Carter who served as a Captain in the Virginia Calvary during the Civil War.

To give me quick review, I liked it a lot. Some other members of the family hated it, but I'm pretty sure they would be happy just watching Remember the Titans. Now that was a good movie too, so don't get me wrong.

My 17 year old nephew went with us. I heard a few grumbles from him during the romantic bits, but he seemed to really enjoy the action.

The CGI was well done, and I thought the way characters and animals moved was great.

Overall, it is a go see. My only complaint was that we were out past 10:00 p.m. on a school night, and our youngest was so hyper that it took almost until midnight to get him to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment