Saturday, April 9, 2011

Attack of the citrus

This is what happens when I cook. For the past month or so, I've been doing a lot of cooking on Saturday so I can have decent meals during the week.

Typically I marinate chicken, cook it, then eat it on a salad for lunch. My two favorites are a Greek souvlaki recipe, and a super easy fajitas recipe. Both require citrus, and garlic. What's not to love?

Today I decided I would try something new, well not new but the first time I've made it. I had a really good salad at Z'tejas. It was jerked chicken, with feta cheese and a vinaigrette. I looked for a jerk marinade recipe, but none of them sounded right. Finally I put in the restaurant's name and they had posted their recipe. It calls for 3/4 cups of chipotle chili, rosemary, basil, thyme, parsley, pepper, salt, vinegar, lime juice, and water. The only chipotles I had are in adobo sauce, and it has just added a little twist. This is really spicy, but when combined with the feta is just amazing. I have my chicken marinating, and will report back on the success, or failure, of this dish.

UPDATE: So I just finished cooking the chicken. I added the full can of chipotle in adobo, it was about 7/8 of a cup, and it was a bit much. I made the wife try some, but brought her a cup of water. She thought it was too spicy, and it is very spicy. I love the contrast with the feta cheese to mellow it out. I succeeded in making the chicken I wanted, but in cooking it on the stove top, I smoked everyone else out of the house. Next time I'll use the grill outside.

No comments:

Post a Comment