Saturday, April 2, 2011

Ab h@#!



What you see above is the result of our workout this morning, and before you ask, yes it was that bad.

As I reported yesterday, we did a horrendous workout focusing on our core. My wife did not join me yesterday, so I considered staying home today, but was up anyway, and decided it would be good for me.

We showed up to the gym at the same time as our trainer. We went in the gym, and the previous day's workout was still on the board. No one else in the 8 a.m. class had shown up on Friday, so I was telling them all how bad it was. As I finished my recount, the trainer agreed, and added, "That's why we're doing it again today!"

There was a moan from the group, well at least me. We hit our 12 ab exercises, and before class my abs hadn't felt bad. As soon as we started in on TRX Pikes to Upward Dog (a useful video at the link), my core started to scream at me, and I started mumbling things I shouldn't. The lowest amount of reps for a single ab exercise was 15 (that was for leg raises) up to 40 reps (for things like bicycle crunches.)

Here is the list:


  • 20 - TRX Pikes to Upward Dog

  • 20 - TRX Pendulum

  • 20 - TRX Mt. Climbers (We didn't do the pendulum at the same time.)

  • 20 - Crunches holding a Swiss Ball between our feet, about two feet off the ground.

  • 20 - Swiss Ball Pikes

  • 20 - Swiss Ball Leg Lifts (although we didn't pass the ball to our hands this time, just up and back down.)

  • 20 - Power Wheel leg lifts

  • 20 - Power Wheel Leg Curls (You lie on your back, lift your hips, and curl the legs back towards your buttocks. Really works the hamstrings with the curl, and the abs by lifting your hips.)

  • 20 - Power Wheel Pikes

  • 40 - Crunches

  • 40 - Bicycle Crunches

  • 15 - Leg Lifts



That was the end of abs. We then moved on to a run, which was about a mile.

This moved into the second stage of the workout.


  • 15 - Medicine ball "Hop-Touch-Reach" (I know the video is of burpies, which is another difficult workout, but picture the first variation, holding a medicine ball.)

  • 50 - Round house kicks per leg

  • 100 - Walking lunges

  • 30 - Swiss Ball Jumping Squats (I couldn't find a video of this, but you place a swiss ball in your lower back, against a wall. You start with your feet apart, jump up and bring your feet together and go into a narrow stance squat. Then you jump back out and do a wide stance squat. Every two squats counts as one for the rep count.)

  • 4 lengths of the gym crawling like a bear. (You get into the upward dog yoga stance, and alternate hands and feet. It looks like Balu in the Jungle Book.)



Then we were supposed to do the ab portion again, but no one got that far.

Good workout, my abs hurt, and now I have to go be comatose somewhere. Enjoy your Saturday!

No comments:

Post a Comment