Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Weekend, Monday, and Tuesday

So this weekend was general conference, and I had tons to do. In typical conference weekend weather, it got cold and rainy/snowy. That kept me from working outdoors.

The wife wanted to make some bread, so I looked around and found a simple recipe for Amish White Bread. I let her sleep in and made the bread. By the time she was awake my kids had polished off one loaf, and each batch makes two. Shortly after we finished the second. So, I made more bread. Those two loaves were gone by Sunday morning. So I made another batch that was finished by Monday morning. In under 48 hours my family ate six loaves of bread.



Now time for a kitchen update. I had ordered some new hinges for our cabinets, because our old ones had been painted over and I had to use an extractor to get the screws out of over half of them. Turns out I ordered the wrong hinges, so I set about removing the paint. After soaking them in paint remover for a few hours I soaked them in mineral spirits. They looked pretty good. I finished antiquing the cabinet boxes themselves by painting them our cream color and then using a stain over the top. I have re-mounted the doors, but have not antiques the exterior face yet. Right now I don't have any pictures of the installed doors, but I'll update the post later with some.

I spent some time cleaning and the normal weekend activities.

As for Monday of this week we had a soccer scrimmage, and this was the first time the oldest got to play since his concussion. He had spent the day skateboarding and his legs were tired. We played a really good team and they picked us apart. One of our coaches was really discouraged, but our best trainer showed up a little late and was able to get some good play out of our team. I think after we've played a few games we'll be okay.

Tuesday I had a cardio day at the gym. My weight-loss has plateaued and I spent some time talking with the trainer about why this is. One thing he asked was if I had any fitness related goals. Last year I did. I wanted to run a 5k and wakeboard. I did both of these things. Now, it's like I've made it. So, I'm now setting my sites on a sprint triathlon. My bike isn't the best for this, it's a mountain bike with big knobby tires, but it will work. I have access to a pool for swimming. But to start I need to run more. We have a fitness room at work, and for $5 a month I can use it. I think I'll start the Couch to 5k program. I know it isn't great to train on a treadmill, but we do enough running at the gym to get in street running three times a week. This program takes eight weeks.

There is a tri in Bountiful that is popular, but one is run in May, and I think they usually do one later in the summer. If not, I'll find one. By the way, if you know of one in the SLC area in August let me know.

I spent most of Tuesday evening cooking. I got complaints about the smell, but the kids ate everything. The reason they complained? Garlic and Apple Cider Vinegar. I made BBQ chicken and some pan fried garlic potatoes.

Ad for today? I guess I'll write about that tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment